Sunday, July 22, 2012

Habitat for Humanity Build (July 17, 2011)

How fast time flies! This was actually 1 year ago! I'm a year late for posting this! Haha! Well, I really waited for the 1 year anniversary. Teehee! 

Ok...forgive me. LOL

Before I share my own insights, let me share 2 articles written about the event, the first one written by Mr. Chris Tiu himself!



Source: Meg (December 2011-January 2012)



Source: Inside Showbiz ( September 2011 )

It's nice to see our group picture included in both magazine articles! Something to treasure forever! :)

The Habitat for Humanity build was the very first outreach I was able to join with the TIUnatics. :) I have experienced a Habitat for Humanity build before way back in college, but not with Chris Tiu (yeah, there's no way he'll be there if it's our school's activity, haha!). Thanks to Cielo, Anna and Mike for helping me get along with the others in this activity. I was really happy I was able to join this. It was really a very fulfilling event!

I experienced doing two types of jobs.  The first one was carrying sacks with gravel and passing it to another volunteer. No, not a sack-full of gravel. Haha! It won't reach the top if it was! It was like we helped transport gravel from below to the top of the house being built. Something like that.



The hardest was the second task we undertook, installing the rivets (yeah, I think that's what you call those type of nails) to connect steel frames together.

Anna and I trying to install the rivets into the steel frames.
It was hard at first that's why Anna and I supported each other for a while, then after getting used to it we got to do the job alone. Yahoo! That was fulfilling! Whew!



Chris also roamed around the site and greeted the volunteers.

Staff from GMA News TV's Good News program were also at the site and interviewed Chris and other volunteers.

Here's my video when he was being interviewed, Well, you won't hear a thing though because of the wind. Haha! The wind that day was blowing strong in that area.



The TIUnatics being interviewed too about the Habitat Build.

This is the actual video shown on TV, although this is not the clearest version. I recorded this myself just using my camera. I couldn't find the clearest version I saw before.




Photo session! :)

Group pic with all the volunteers!
This was actually a birthday celebration for him too because his birthday was 2 days ago before the activity date. Yey!



Chris and his birthday cake from Greenwich! Of course, shaped like a pizza!  View from the back. Haha!
Here's my own video during the photo session with his cake. I should have gone to the front. Haha!





Lunch from Greenwich! Yum yum yum!

Autograph session! :)
We were all tired afterwards because of the heat and hard work we have done. But it was all worth it. We know all the work we've done is for a better cause. It will help shelter families in need. What we have done is just a small portion of the whole process of building houses, but what we've done will surely go a long way.

Thank you to Chris for uniting us all for this activity, and for celebrating his birthday with us! I'll never forget this day! :)


No comments: